- Alternative Titles: Komi-san wa, Communication Shougai desu, Miss Komi is Bad at Communication.
- MAL: Komi-san wa, Komyushou desu
- Tropes: Misunderstandings, yandere, chuunibyou, kuudere, plain-looking male protagonist, high school setting
“It’s a manga that’s fun for the whole family, but teenagers and young adults will especially get a kick out of it.”
Komi-san is a slice-of-life comedy that follows Komi and her attempts to make friends despite debilitating social anxiety – so bad that she can’t speak in public
Although it sounds somewhat tragic (and the cover art of the first volume makes it look a bit too dramatic) Komi-san is a wonderfully lighthearted story with good story telling and appropriate character development.
It’s a slow start, however. The manga begins with the new school year, thus the titular character Komi has no friends – thus the comedy is strictly reduced to the secondary main character Tadano attempting to interpret Komi. As the series progresses, more characters are introduced and there’s more humour with the various characters reacting to the same situation.
I think it’s a story a lot of people can relate to. Common awkward situations like; texting vs. calling, ordering at a restaurant, or inviting friends out after you haven’t seen them for a while. The art is fun and Komi is expressive so it never feels like you can’t understand her as a reader (though there are numerous text bubbles that typically explain her thinking).
There’s also a possible romance brewing between Komi and Tadano? Though at 60+ chapters in, there hasn’t been much in development – since they’re both rather shy/awkward.
It’s a manga that’s fun for the whole family, but teenagers and young adults will especially get a kick out of it. The only issue is one character who is, in the r/manga community, greatly disliked because of her actions yet she continues to play a part in the story.
- Best for those who like: wholesome comedy, ensemble casts, punchlines based on social anxiety / general awkwardness, tropes occasionally subverted, cute girls doing cute things
- Worst for those who dislike: awkward female lead, slow starts, a lot of “tell” with so-so “show,” situation comedy